Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Outfit: Show Costumes!

Costume 1

Ballet shoes

I remembered my camera last night so here, as promised, are pictures of my two costumes from the show. At the beginning we are all natives of a tropical island, hence the flower garlands and bright colours. The young man’s mum made my skirt for me – she is a talented seamstress and when the ladies chorus was asked to make our own skirts, I knew just where to turn. We are wearing ballet shoes as an alternative to the bare feet the producer wanted.

White top – QS
Wrap skirt – made by the young man’s mum
Ballet shoes – So Danca
Turquoise necklace – Dorothy Perkins
Turquoise earrings – gifted
Turquoise flower - Claire's
Flower garlands – provided by the society

Costume 2

Dance Shoes

There is a scene in Act 2 where we are all presented at a kind of debutante ball and that is where the red and black dress comes in. I have a black vest top underneath as the top and skirt of the ‘dress’ don’t meet at the back due to my height. My friend is on constant watch to make sure the vest isn’t showing at the front. We are supposed to look uncomfortable in the dresses as we are island natives, not used to formal dress, so perhaps it helps that some of the costumes don’t fit as well as they might.

Ball gown – Ian Stead costumes
Black character shoes – So Danca

No comments:

Post a Comment